Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Feeling Better! Hashimoto's and the Path to Healing: Part 2

It's been just over a month since I posted my first story about my path to healing Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I am pleased to report that I am feeling so much better! It happened about two weeks after my post back in October. I woke up, went through my day and kept thinking, "I feel so joyful. I feel so energetic! Look how beautiful the trees are! I feel so good!" I couldn't help noticing my new sense of vitality and a very new sense of loving my life! I have said to friends that it's been years since I've felt this good. But, in fact, I'm not sure I've ever felt this good.

When I was seven years old, I was hospitalized due to symptoms of diabetes. The doctor did some blood tests and discovered that I had hypoglycemia. I was sent home with this diagnosis. However, my parents didn't really know how to deal with it so I kept eating sugary desserts, drinking cow's milk (to which I later found out I was very allergic), and not surprisingly feeling crummy. Not only did I suffer from anxiety and bouts of depression even as a young kid, I also had a chronic cough that wouldn't stop. My family, and even my neighbors noticed it and told me to , "Stop coughing, already!!!" It's was annoying to them and me, but no one knew about food allergies or food sensitivities back then, so no one knew how to stop it.

Throughout my childhood and more dramatically in my college years, I suffered intense sinus infections and ear infections, no doubt caused by my compromised immune system. Doctors prescribed antibiotics, of course, which only served to rob my digestive tract of good bacteria and treat the symptoms but not heal the underlying cause. On top of all of this, I was a very active athlete. In high school I swam 2-3 hours a day and lifted weights twice a week for an hour each day. In college this increased to five hours of swimming a day and three weightlifting sessions per week. I don't remember missing more than 1-2 practices my entire college swimming career. I swam through sinus infections, bronchitis, colds, you name it. This is how it was throughout my childhood and adolescence as well--I didn't miss more than 3-4 days of school per year. I went to school even when I was sick, with the exception of the stomach flu. In my late twenties I came down with pneumonia. By the time I went to see the doctor, she told me that if I had waited much longer to see her, I might have died. In my thirties, I developed serious bronchitis three different times and was laid up for at least 1-2 months each episode. In retrospect, I believe the antibiotics, food allergies, and my active lifestyle all contributed to the breakdown of my immune system. By the time I turned 35, I was exhausted! By the time I was 40, I was dealing with depression, anxiety, extreme fatigue, heart palpitations, insomnia, and serious PMS.

That's when I knew I needed to get help, and fast!!!! First I went to a nurse practitioner who tested my Vit D and Vit B levels. I was significantly low in both. She gave me supplements. She also tested my hormone levels and noticed that my testosterone levels were low. She prescribed DHEA supplements. However, she didn't prescribe an adrenal test, nor did she test my neurotransmitters so I decided to get a second opinion. I went to see a Physician's Assistant, that was recommended to me by a friend (Thanks Lynn!). She immediately tested my neurotransmitters and adrenals. My serotonin levels were very low. My GABA was out of balance. My adrenals were overproducing cortisol at night and underproducing during the day, which meant they were being overworked. She prescribed 5-HTP (an amino acid which is a precursor to serotonin production), Taurine (to rebalance my GABA and help with my anxiety) and a vitamin supplement to support my adrenals. The PA moved to Boulder, CO. a month later. I was bummed. But I asked her to give me a referral to another doctor--one who worked in the same way as she did. She gave me the name of an MD who practiced integrative medicine.

I love my doctors! Dr. Maggie Yu, M.D. and Carrie Jones, N.D. work together to serve their patients at Sherwood Family Medicine. Dr. Yu heard my symptoms and immediately ordered a Hashimoto's antibodies test. Sure enough! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Dr. Yu and Dr. Jones prescribed a gluten-free diet, stress management, selenium supplements, an adrenal supplement called phosphorylated serine, and regular meals to keep my blood sugar levels in balance. She continued the 5-HTP, Taurine, and prescribed a sublingual Vit B supplement.

In addition, I did my own research on diet, exercise, and nutrition. Dr. Jones recommended that I read, Dr. Datis Kharrazian's book, Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? From his book, I discovered a nutritional therapist in the Portland area--Nora T. Gedgaudas--who wrote Primal Body-Primal Mind. I also did a lot of online research. I found a wonderful website to help me eat gluten-free: http://www.simplysugarandglutenfree.com/. I met with an Ayurvedic practitioner, Richard Haynes, who prescribed deep breathing, oil self-massage, and specific foods for balancing Vata and Pitta. He also suggested that I forego intense exercise and take slow walks instead, in order to rest my adrenals. According to Ayurvedic medicine, Hashimoto's disease is the result of a Vata imbalance. As a result, light walking and gentle yoga are recommended for rebalancing the nervous system. Dr. Kharrazian confirms this in his book as well. He discusses how weightlifting burns sugars which taxes the adrenals, whereas light aerobic exercise--like walking, slow biking, and swimming-- burns fat. By burning fat, you maintain proper blood sugar levels, putting less stress on the adrenals.

I've also made other lifestyle changes that have helped me significantly. First off, is maintaining a regular restorative yoga practice. I practice three days a week at Om Base Yoga with Todd Williamson. He incorporates meditation and slow stretching with light strengthening poses. I leave there feeling peaceful, relaxed, and with a heightened sense of well-being. Plus, Todd is so fun to talk to, so playful, such a light, that you can't help but smile as you walk out of the studio. Without my practice at Om Base, I would still be a full-on "Type A" personality! I also practice Yin Yoga at home, using one of Paul Grilley's DVD's. He uses 5-minute poses to gently stretch the myo-facial tissues which encase the muscles. It's gentle, relaxing, and feels great afterwards.

Another lifestyle change I made was to cut back on work. I am lucky that I am able to do this. I am an adjunct faculty member at a local college so I set my own schedule each quarter. I've created a sustainable schedule in which I work every other day. That means that my stress levels don't have a chance to accumulate throughout the week. I use my days off to do yoga, nap, cook, write, walk, watch a movie or read a book.

Next, I've proclaimed one day per week as "ME DAY." No appointments, no friends dropping by, no arrends to run, no cleaning the house. This was a recommendation from Dr. Kharrazian. For parents, he recommends taking at least a half-day per week for yourself. It has a made a huge difference! I used to schedule dr.'s appointments, arrends, and dates with friends all on the same day which meant I was driving all over town and totally exhausted by the time I got home. Now, I try to schedule just 1-2 items per day, in the same part of town to minimize driving.

Other changes I've made: 1) Going to bed by 10 or 10:30 and waking up no later than 7 or 8am. This one is hard to do, especially on the weekends. But, when I do it, I feel better--more rested and rejuvenated. 2) Eating my big meal of the day at lunch time, no later than 2pm. This is when our digestive system is at it's strongest and most efficient. It also means less snacking at night time. 3) Reducing time on the computer and in front of the TV. It's helped calm my mind and rest my body. 4) Maybe you'll like this one! At least once a week I hit some pillows with a tennis racket and yell, "No!" at the top of my lungs. I do this to release energy that is stuck in my throat or belly. As women, we're often told that getting angry is not ok. So we stuff it. As they say, "Depression is anger turned inward." Every time I do this when I'm feeling down, it helps me feel lighter and more joyful. Even if my neighbors may wonder what the heck is going on in there!!!

A friend recently reminded me that it's only been 4 months since my diagnosis. She observed how much progress I've made in such a short time. This made me feel really good. I've worked hard to sift through all of the information, make changes in my lifestyle and eating habits, and put myself first even when it's uncomfortable or at the risk of people being disappointed or annoyed. Through this disease my thyroid has been my greatest teacher, and I am so grateful for it's lessons. While the process has been tenuous, uncomfortable, and frustrating, ultimately, I've learned how to love myself, slow down, enjoy life, and relax. I'm not driven by perfectionism or achievement as much as I once was. I exercise to feel good, not to lose weight. It may sound contrite, but I feel like I've got ME back. Not all the time. I still have my lows. But they don't last as long. And I have ways to help myself feel better again. Usually, it just means resting more, and doing less.

My next step? Maintain the changes I've made. Talk to my doctor about the results of my recent food intolerance and adrenal function tests. Gradually increase my exercise to include more of the activities I love, like swimming and biking. Take more baths to reduce stress. Find ways to make work fun. Love my husband and let him love me. Do you see a trend here? Self-care to the max! Self-indulgent? Maybe. All I know, is I feel happier. As someone who is happier, I complain less and laugh more. I have more to offer the people around me. Remember what they tell you on airplanes? Put your oxygen mask on yourself first, then your child. We gotta help ourselves before we can be of any help to others. I always knew this in theory, but now I'm living it. I can tell you this--- it works!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, what a journey and what an amazing process of fixing what's not working! I'm soooooo glad that you're feeling good!!!! What a gift! And what a gift to appreciate every good moment! Thank you for sharing. Looking for to bringing in 2011 w/ you and your cute husband! Ann. PS. I'l try not to laugh at your gluten free donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a journey you have had! I'm glad you've reach a beautiful view. With your cow's milk allergy, can you eat the cultured products like yogurt? I was born allergic to milk but was fortunate that my parents found out about it very early in my life. As an adult I found that I can eat milk products that have been "predigested" such as cheese, yogurt and buttermilk. I have also fallen in love with goat's milk cheese. I hope you are able to enjoy these in you diet. I'm also glad you found out about your Vit. D - Americans as a whole are low in that nutrient.

    "Knowledge is like a garden,
    if it is not cultivated
    it can not be harvested."
    -African Proverb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on finding solutions and making them happen, Margie. So glad you're feeling better! See you soon..... Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Margaret. Keep up your good work and shine your light!
    Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently reading the same thyroid book. I've been on synthroid for years for hashimoto's with no problem, but this last year has been crazy thryoid highs and lows, and not getting much help from my endo, just lab tests and medication adjustment.

    so now I'm looking for someone in my area who uses Dr. K's method.

    I've essentially been grain free for years, however recently realized I was getting soy in some unsuspected places like my whey protein drink. also found out that eating soy/grain fed livestock, poultry, fish also causes me problems.

    I've since removed all that from my diet and switched to eating grass fed beef and pastured poultry from a local rancher, wild caught seafood and produce from a local farmer's market which seems to help.

    still need some other dietary or supplemental support, thus looking for a new doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is such a journey, isn't it? Going gluten-free has really helped me. I also suffered from a hormone imbalance and use a bioidentical hormone cream which has really helped. I've also stopped eating foods to which I am sensitive/intolerant. All of this helps to calm the immune system and give the thyroid a rest. A nutritional therapist responded to my blog who used to suffer from Hashimoto's and who does telephone consults. Let me know if you want her info. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Margaret

    I am not sure if you remember me. I was in a few of Todd’s immersion classes with you. I recently saw Richard Haynes and referred me to your blog. I too have Hashimotos and I have had a long year battling fatigue. I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I found this website as I was researching ideas for my next Yogalena newsletter on becoming unstuck. I was riveted to read your journey with thyroid problems, food sensitivity, and being a go-getting type of person. You may as well have been me writing it! It's nice to read about someone else's experiences on "the path". Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just stumbled onto this blog. I am at the early on sight of hashimotos and feeling very discouraged. Do you have any advice for someone like me? I am 23 years old. Diagnosed with hashmimotos after a false positive on Lyme disease in 2011. I take thyroid medicine and my blood work (done regularly) is coming back normal... I DO NOT FEEL NORMAL! I have now had bronchitis.... again (twice in a month and a half) and I am sooooooo tired. I have headaches non-stop and I am so irritable all the time. I have highs and lows.. and when I am low I know I am low, but I can't get myself to overcome it.. I even know when I am being unreasonable or snapping a people... I just physically feel so tired I can't change it! HELP

    ReplyDelete
  10. May I ask the name of the PA in Boulder?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you tell me the name of the PA in Boulder?

    ReplyDelete